Compare the best options on the market and choose the one which best adapts to your day-to-day needs.
Try Our Loanfinder
✔️ From 300€ to 50000€
✔️ Available for almost any purpose
✔️ Free and unbiased platform
✔️ Fast process, get the best offers
Our Rating: 9.5/10
- Flexible loan limit of up to €200,000
- Loan repayment period of up to 120 months
- Fast online application process
- Attractive interest rates of 4.75% p.a
- Excellent loan conditions
- Fast concessions
- Applicable to borrowers with income
Our Rating: 9.2/10
- Flexible loan limit of up to 100,000 euros
- Attractive interest rate of 4.99% p.a
- Fast online application process
- Loan repayment period of up to 120 months
- Fast concession (a simple call in any DHB Bank branch)
- Valid for all your projects up to 100,000 euros
Our Rating: 8.9/10
- Fast and digital online application process
- Friendly fixed rates
- Free from insurance fees
- Less strict requirements
- Loans are processed within the first 48 hours of application
- Excellent loan conditions
- Applicants with income are preferred
Personal Loans in Belgium, All You Need To Know:
This article features everything you need to know before taking out a personal loan in Belgium including all the factors you’ll need to consider. We’ve collected all the information about banking in Belgium, the current interest rates for personal loans, and other factors that are currently affecting consumer credits in both Europe and the world.
The current market for personal loans
Being in Europe, Belgium’s financial systems are greatly affected by the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. We bring you the latest news updates about the same and any other factors that affect financing in Belgium every month.
- Since the Eurozone neighbors the war theater, the ramifications of the war are stronger felt than in other countries that are far off. One major problem is the disruption of the supply chains since the EU had close ties with both Russia and Ukraine. However, the European Commission proposed a plan to break loose from Russia’s fossil fuel in the next 7 years. This would help combat any energy inflations that would happen in the future.
- Sticking to the EU’s sanctions and retaliatory measures, banks are going slow on offering cross-border loans and are avoiding direct exposure to Russia. The sanctions are not imposed, and neither is the EU tracking down banks’ compliance with them. Instead, the sanctions are designed to help sustain the financial systems through the war.
The war exacerbated the economic recovery and delayed the stabilization of financial markets and systems. This makes consumer loans a little more expensive in Belgium.
How to compare between online loan offers?
One way to find the best commodity is to compare different options. Selecting a few personal loan options that you’re interested in and comparing the conditions will help you end up with the most suitable offer. However, this only happens when we know which criteria to use while comparing such as interest rates, cost of the links, commissions, and repayment terms among others.
For example to buy credit offers and save 600 euros
In the following table, we can see how to compare between online personal loan offers taking into account all factors.
By copying this table and performing different simulations according to the project we want to finance and the offer made by each entity, we will be able to know which one will be the best simply by comparing the total cost.
How to use FUNDGECKO to get personal loans
At FUNDGECKO, we are passionate about providing all the information about the terms of operation and conditions of different financial offers. This is all it takes to take out a loan like a pro.
Steps you’ll take at our website:
- Select a few offers that you’re attracted to and compare them for free
- Read through the contract files thoroughly as you note down their terms and conditions
- The FUNDGECKO forum will come in to help you clear any doubts you might have developed along the way
- Clicking on “contract” will transfer you to the specific loan’s website from where you can follow the application process.
- Our website also has a comment section where our happy clients are given a chance to pen their comments about our services.
Why do you look for personal loans?
Personal loans can address various financial needs, from making big purchases, financing your career, clearing medical bills, and others.
Be sure to look for the terms and conditions set for each offer.
- Financing your studies
- Financing your vacation
- Financing your projects
- Financing your business trip
- Renovating your home
- Making big purchases
- Financing your car
- Financing electronics purchase
- Buying a computer or smartphone
- Consolidating debts
Conditions may vary depending on the purpose for which we’re taking out the loan. Entities have, however, designed loans for specific purposes, which, generally, have better conditions than personal loans for the same. For instance, a student loan has better conditions than a personal loan taken out to finance your studies. Hence, consult with the entity to compare which loan offer is better.
How to apply for a personal loan?
Whether online or physical, the mode of applying for personal loans depends on the entity’s preference. Either way, the process of taking out a personal loan in Belgium is the same.
What steps are you likely to take?
- Find about three or so loan offers that you’re attracted to and consult about their terms and conditions. In this way, you’re able to get a loan that best addresses your financial needs and one that has the best conditions.
- Upon receiving the application form, select your preferred amount and repayment term. Be sure to fill out the form with personal data that corresponds to your bank account details to reduce the chances of your application being rejected.
- Receive pre-approval instantly for the online application and after 48 hours for the physical mode.
- Provide all the documents required. This will help the lender assess your financial situation and approve that you meet all the requirements they’ve set. Failure to send a single document places your application at the risk of being dismissed.
- Go through the pre-contractual information you receive, noting down the smallest of details about the loan offer including amount, term, interest, commissions, etc.
- Sign up for the contract if you’re in full agreement with the conditions of the offer.
- Receive the funds in minutes for the online application and after 48 hours for the physical mode. This, however, may vary with entities.
Requirements for personal loans in Belgium
After getting the best available offer, the next step is to check out the entity’s requirements to qualify for it. While some entities have unique requirements, the fundamental requirements for personal loans are generally the same.
- Be of the legal age. Some entities provide financing to persons not younger than 21 and not older than 65. These age limits vary with an entity.
- Be a Belgian resident. This applies to both natives and expats. The lender will require you to hold a residence permit whether temporary or permanent. The conditions for either of the permits vary with entities.
- Collect sufficient monthly income. This proves to the lender that you’re able to afford the loan repayment. Different entities place different ranges of income requirements.
- Have a healthy income-to-debt ratio. Lenders will dismiss your application if you haven’t cleared your previous loans with other entities.
To have a healthy level of debt, be sure to take out loans that address your specific needs and have top conditions. Taking out an expensive loan will make the repayment process strenuous. Moreover, take out a loan whose monthly repayment covers between 35 and 40% of your monthly salary.
Documentation for applying for a personal loan
The lender will ask you for certain documents to confirm that you actually meet the requirements outlined in the previous section.
- A copy of your ID card or passport
- Bank statements that show your expenses in the previous months and income
- Documents showing your latest income tax return
- Documents showing your last three monthly salaries or incomes
- Documents showing your purpose for taking out the loan or the budget of your project.
Entities ask for either more or fewer documents. If you are taking out a loan from a bank where your income and receipts are domiciled, the entity already has much of your data and will use online verification to validate your application.
Who grants personal loans in Belgium?
Belgium is just another country where banks had monopolized lending. The situation changed after the financial collapse in 2008 which paved the way for other platforms and lending companies to infiltrate the financial markets. So far, many companies are stable and up to speed with banks in Belgium with some offering loans in better conditions than banks.
Entities that grant loans in Belgium:
- Bank entities
- Credit Financial Institutions (CFE)
- Private Lenders
- P2P Lending Platforms
Obtain financing through banks
✔️ Offers a variety of products
✔️ Access to big loans
✔️ Long repayment terms
✔️ Friendly interest rates
❌ Processing of funds takes time
❌ Many additional fees and commissions
❌ Seniority is a determining factor
❌ More related products
Credit Financial Institutions (CFE)
✔️ Loans available for a variety of purposes
✔️ Low interest rates
✔️ Few additional costs and commissions
✔️ Fast processing of funds
❌ Strict eligibility parameters like bank loans
❌ They only operate through stores or dealerships
Getting loans online with private companies
✔️ Fast processing of funds
✔️ Less strict eligibility requirements
✔️ Seniority is not a determining factor
❌ Expensive due to high interest rates
❌ Can sink you into over-indebtedness if not taken out wisely
Personal Loans through P2P Platforms
✔️ Top loan conditions
✔️ Fast and 100% online application
✔️ No related products
❌ Slow processing of funds
❌ Strict eligibility requirements
❌ Few platforms that give loans to individuals
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
What is a personal loan?
A personal loan is a type of consumer credit that’s taken out to address a personal need. The loans are designed to address a variety of purposes such as buying electronics, clearing an unexpected medical bill, buying a car, purchasing new appliances, buying machinery for your business, and consolidating debts among others.
Once taken out, the borrower is obliged to repay the loan under the agreed-upon terms and conditions. Hence, the loanee will be required to repay the principal amount they took out, the accrued interests, and any other additional charges.
Why don’t you give me personal loans?
Personal loans are a quick and sure way of financing during economic emergencies and when in need of a quick financial fix. Note that the lender is never obliged to provide financing to applicants even when they meet all the requirements. However, most lenders will reject your loan application if you fail to meet all the requirements they’ve outlined for the offer. You may have an unhealthy level of debt, insufficient monthly income, not hold a residence permit, or fail to provide all the supporting documents required.
What is the INE form for a loan?
The INE form is a document that we receive from the lender that details all the conditions of the loan offer we’re committing to including the interest rates, repayment period, amount, the APR, the commissions, and the possible insurance, among others.
What is the binding offer of a personal credit?
When we receive a binding offer from an entity, we have at least 14 calendar days during which we can freely compare the conditions and clauses of other loans without losing the current offer.
Can personal loans be paid in advance?
By law, borrowers are allowed to make early loan repayments both in full or partly. This, however, will be successful if only the loanee notifies the lender early enough before making the payment. This may also attract early repayment fees, according to the entity.
What if I take out a loan online and then regret it?
The Belgian Law allows borrowers to withdraw their loan application in the first 14 calendar days. Only within the safe days is one able to withdraw the loan without attracting any penalties.
What happens if I don’t pay back a personal loan?
As aforementioned, a loan is a debt that you’re obliged to repay under the outlined requirements. If you defy the set agreements and fail to repay the loan, your ability to access a loan in the future will be frustrated. Additionally, the entity may choose to file a lawsuit against you which will be more expensive ( as you’ll have to clear the damages).
When to Apply for a Personal Loan
A personal loan is a quick financial product that helps us meet our personal needs. You may get a good personal loan if you’re free to compare different entities and take out a loan from a company that’s different from your bank.
This helps you end up with a loan that’s most compatible with your situation and one that won’t make it hard to repay.
Personal loans are given out for many purposes and are available to expats who meet all the set requirements.
Taking out a loan should also mean taking the responsibility to repay. Avoid taking loans that you feel will be strenuous to pay back. A good loan should help improve your financial situation so that you’re comfortable making the monthly repayments and are clearing all your related bills with ease.
About this page, our methodology
What this page is for: we’re out to help you get the most compatible financial product to your needs and peculiarities. Hence, we marshal all the necessary information about consumer credits including the best offers in the market, how to compare them and end up with the best offer.
Source: the information regarding consumer credits in Belgium and how they are regulated is drawn from the Financial Services and Markets Authority, and the National Bank of Belgium.
Methodology: The data relating to the conditions of these products (amount, term, interest, etc.) have been obtained through online research and consultation of the official statistics of the aforementioned reference sources.
About FUNDGECKO: we are an online comparator website that helps users with little knowledge about financing. We equip the user with the most recent and reliable information regarding consumer credits, how best they can compare them, and end up with the most suitable option.
Note: the services we offer are totally free for the user, as FUNDGECKO obtains its income from advertising and its featured products.